Before the committee can process a request, it first needs to be clear if the work is part of the Dutch State Collection or not.

The Dutch State Collection includes the so-called NK-collection, which is a special part of the Dutch State collection consisting of artworks with a war-background.

This is also a deciding factor in determining where to file a request for restitution, and to determine how the procedure will proceed. Requests for restitution of works from the Dutch State Collection need to be filed with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, while for artworks that are not part of the Dutch State Collection, but are owned by, for example, private individuals, foundations or local government, there is the possibility to request a binding expert opinion.