When submitting a restitution application it has to be clear who the current owner of the claimed artwork is. This is not always straightforward. If a painting is hanging in a museum, for example, that does not always mean the museum owns it. It may be on loan from the central government, a private individual or the local authority. The museum where the artwork is located is the best source of information about this issue. If in doubt contact the RCE

Once it is clear who owns the artwork whose restitution is being requested, you can use the step-by-step plan below to see how to submit a restitution application.

Step-by-step: Dutch State Collection Step-by-step: other collections